Taxi Insurance 

Insurance for your taxi and protection for your business, from single vehicles to fleets.

Do I need taxi insurance?

Anyone who drives a taxi for profit, whether it’s a private hire vehicle like a minicab or a public hire car such as a black hackney carriage, will need specific taxi insurance.
Standard car insurance won’t cover you, even if it includes cover for business use.
Driving for hire and reward requires a taxi badge, and specific taxi insurance for any vehicles you use.

Single vehicle taxi insurance 

Our team can help you find an insurance policy with appropriate coverage for your taxis. Protect your taxi with specialised single taxi insurance. We can help provide cover for individual public hire or private hire cabs, from saloons to MPVs. Protect your taxis with third-party, third-party fire and theft, or comprehensive cover.

Taxi fleet insurance 

We offer competitive quotes to insure multiple taxi vehicles in one manageable policy. Taxi fleet insurance lets your business benefit from a single renewal date, add named drivers, and benefit from telematics to help track your vehicles and keep the cost of insurance in check. Suitable for taxi fleets of three vehicles or more.  

What’s the difference between private hire and public hire insurance?

Private hire vehicles are minicab-type vehicles that can only be pre-booked and can’t be hailed at a taxi rank or on the street.

Public hire vehicles are black cabs, hackney carriages and other vehicles that are licensed by the council to pick up fares on the street and at taxi ranks.

These two categories have different levels of risk involved, but how much you pay for your policy is more likely to depend on factors including vehicle type and age, driver experience, location where vehicles are stored, and your annual mileage.

Do I need public liability insurance?

To protect yourself and your customers, you’re likely to need public liability insurance. This may be included as an element of your taxi insurance policy, but it’s important to check this – if it isn’t, you might need to buy this as an add-on or as a separate policy. 

This type of policy can respond if a member of the public alleges injury or damage to their property in relation to your taxi business.

Can I insure my taxi for personal use?

If you want to use your taxi when you’re not working, you need to check your insurance covers personal as well as business use. This can be arranged with some policies – speak to us if you would like to include this in your insurance.

Can my partner or other family members drive my taxi?

Although you may be able to add a partner or family member to your insurance policy as a named driver, you’ll also need to make sure your local authority allows unregistered drivers to be on the roads in a registered taxi. 

Why choose us?

  • Shop the market

    We liaise with our panel of up to 120 insurers to find you covers that are tailored to your business’ unique needs.

  • Expert teams

    Our insurance specialists have over 70 years industry experience.

  • Additional services

    We can combine other Radius services to include wider products and services such as telematics, telecoms and vehicle leasing.

Not sure which cover you require?

Call us directly on 0113 258 2219 for a quote today.
Our team of dedicated sales experts will take you through the process of setting up your new insurance policy from quote to inception. We will also be here to offer any advice or help you may need after you have taken out your policy with us.